Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Reader beware cynical post below.

It's been kind of a rough last couple of days. I'm going to type out my journal entry from yesterday.

July 15th, 2008 Day 30

I don't know if it was the gloomy weather or just one of those days, but today has been kind of a slap in the face with reality. Once we arrived to the toddler's compound I saw a new boy who was just screaming his lungs out and repeating the same phrase over and over and over again while walking around in circles. He didn't notice us or the other aunties who were watching him. I later learned that he was calling out in desperation for his mother. I have no idea what his story was before he got to the orphanage but he appears to be very clean and healthy. He arrived at the orphanage just last night. I don't know if his parents died, abandoned him or if he was simply lost and found on the side of the road. Either way it breaks my heart to see him calling out in absolute desperation for his mother. I want so much to scoop up this child, take him on the plane and give him a fighting chance in this ugly world. Today was also a hard day with the rest of the kids. I am constantly wondering if I am making a difference in their lives. I know I make a difference in their day but I don't think that because of my short 8 week stint here that these children's lives will be molded to turn out in some other way than it would have if I didn't come at all. What does the future hold for these kids? What mean tricks will the world and life throw in the face of these children despite the severe injustices they have already been delt. There are so many of them and my time here is so short. It is not fair that I am gaining so much more than I am giving. I try every day to give everything of myself but somehow I don't feel drained. On the contrary I feel so filled with love from these children and there seem to be no way to give it all away. Is there any way to give and not receive anything in return? I hate the temporariness of all of this. I am only here for a short time. The optimistic part of me wants to think that I will leave a lasting impression on these kids but then the critical, and sometimes cynical part of me, thinks about all of the other volunteers who have come before me and all of the ones who will come after me. With this constantly revolving door, how can one person really leave their impression. I will forever remember the names and faces of these children. I will always remember and be effected by the lessons they have taught me thus far about life, love, resilience and so much more. Life sucks for these kids but somehow they muster up enough courange and audacity to face the day and say " Screw you situation I'm going to get up, laugh, cry, scream and have fun no matter what you throw at me. I'm going to keep on living no matter what."

Despite the blood, sweat, tears and constant flow of snot, they are strong. Sowah cannot hear or communicate his most basic needs but that doesn't stop him from sitting on your lap, looking up at you and giving you the most genuine, heart warming smile tiy gave ever seeb,

Conclusion to all my thoughts, doubts and questions is this....there is no conclusion. I have no answer. But hopefully obecause of the obrunis willing to travel to Ghana and love and play with these kids hopefully their lives will be better off than those children in this world who are unfortunate enough to not recieve any love in their lives. Hopefully I give enough hugs and kisses and console enough sad hearts to have done my part in the larger scheme. What I have to cling to now is hope. Hope that they never give up. Hope that they can keep strong. Hope that they can finally catch a break in this world. Hope and I guess pray.

The uncertainty and temporariness is killing me.

I'm still having an amazing time don't get me wrong. It's just some days it's hard to not take a few steps back and be critical.

7 comments:

LOVE said...

Taylor. They may not remember your name, but they will always remember the tall blonde boy that loved and laughed with them.
You make an impression on people. No one can forget Taylor Horn. :)

Diane said...

Taylor,
I love your willing heart. You are exactly what these kids need. Maybe this experience doesn't have to be temporary. Maybe you work hard all year to earn enough money to go back every summer and do it the entire summer. I can see you turning this into your lifes work. You are amazing. Remember "When you have done it to one of the least of these my brothern, ye have done it unto me." You are doing an amazing work - keep it up.

Saturday's Warrior said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Remember Who You Are said...

Dear Taylor, Uncle Scott said my other note to you didn't go through since I didn't complete it according to the right instructions. Being who I am I am very sorry to not have known how to follow directions. It was supposed to have been sent right after our return from China. That was an interesting change. Not what I expected but very pleasantly surprised. The buildings are extremely high with businesses in the bottom 1,2,and/or 3 floors and the rest are all apartments. Only a very few have single houses. The highrises are up to 88 stories high. Loved the walk on the China Wall. Had a ride on a bike with a rider and G & I riding side by side. Their emperor's homes were fabulous. Found it didn't matter where you are, there are always going to be those of little means, trying their best to be of help to themselves and others. As you reflect on others, you just try to do your best to be of help and hope that others can carry on when you aren't there. Just keep up your great work, Taylor, we are very proud of you and know your Heavenly Father is also. He has directed you to this area because He knows you and what you are capable of. Pray for guidance and he will direct your good works. xoxo Dear Taylor, Sounds like you are beidng an angel to those you are working with. You can give wiwthout receiving. Keep up the good work and your Heavenly Father will bless you for it. You mentioned that the little deaf boy needed a sponsor. Grandma and I would be honored to do it. Send us all the information. Love, G&G xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Diane said...

Star Fish Story:
Once a man was walking along a beach. The sun was shining and it was a beautiful day. Off in the distance he could see a person going back and forth between the surf's edge and and the beach. Back and forth this person went. As the man approached he could see that there were hundreds of starfish stranded on the sand as the result of the natural action of the tide.
The man was stuck by the the apparent futility of the task. There were far too many starfish. Many of them were sure to perish. As he approached the person continued the task of picking up starfish one by one and throwing them into the surf.

As he came up to the person he said, "You must be crazy. There are thousands of miles of beach covered with starfish. You can't possibly make a difference." The person looked at the man. He then stooped down and pick up one more starfish and threw it back into the ocean. He turned back to the man and said, "It sure made a difference to that one!"

We are thinking of you today Taylor. We all love you.

Dad

Ty and Whit said...

Taylor, sorry i havent been posting. as you'll read in mom's email i have been running around the country but now i'm caught up and so impressed at the experiences you're having! You seem so changed, so selfless, so happy to be serving in Ghana! I am so proud of you and am so glad we get to follow along through your blog! Love you!!

skittles said...

Taylor,
Janna just gave me your blog entries and I think that what you are doing is absolutely amazing. You are an awesome guy with tons of courage, zest for life and total unconditional love for those beautiful kiddos. Now you've given Janna the bug and she wants to go to Africa to do the same thing. You have made a difference in her life! You have been and are a great example in the life of my children and our family. I am so happy for you and for what you are doing. Keep us posted on your adventures. We are praying for you. I am planning on sending your blog entries to Blake. Keep up the good work. We love you. Tina and family