Thursday, July 24, 2008

Happy birthday to me

Just another day here in Ghana! Jessica gave me a box of chocolates wrapped in pictures colored by a couple of the kids I was soo appreciative of her amazing gesture! Then I went to lunch at my favorite restaurant here in Ghana which was amazing! I also got a gift from the orphans in the form of ring worm on my chin. I got medicine today so hopefully that will clear it all up. Jessica has ring worm on her arm as well. Gloria (our local host at the compound) told us about a traditional remedy for ring worm and scabies. This remedies involves breaking a battery in half, rubbing the battery acid on the infected section of the skin. I don't think I'm too keen to this remedy. I'll just stick to my pills and cream.

I have been having a great time! A couple of days ago we had a huge rain storm so I was soaked the whole day! The kids were also forced to stay inside this very small room. I counted about 28 toddlers in this small and cluttered room. It was a nightmare to say the least. There was screaming everywhere, bodily waste everywhere, tears everywhere, fighting everywhere, and more screaming!

I don't want to go home but I know I have to get back to my responsibilities at home :( Thank you everyone for your love and support! It is great to hear from everyone! Keep the comments coming :)

9 comments:

Diane said...

WOW! what great birthday presents - chocolate and ring worm - lucky you. JK does the ring worm hurt, itch,etc.? I hope you had a terrific day. The world is blessed to have had you for these 19 years. We love you - keep up the good work.

Remember Who You Are said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR TAYLOR, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!.. and many more. Love you, Taylor. Enjoy your day and always remember who you are. We send our love to you and your card and check will be in your room when you return. Sorry about your special added blessing on your cheek, but sometimes these things happen. Thank goodness for great medicine. I agree with you the suggested application doesn't sound very appealing. Your work there is extremely important. Keep loving and doing. You will be blessed along with the children. Love you, xoxo

unclevball said...

Hey Taylor,
Happy Birthday!! I'm glad that you got a new pet to keep you company in Ghana. Have you named it yet? Sounds like you are making a difference to some kids in Ghana. We are proud of you and your work.

Ty and Whit said...

Happy Birthday Tay! Did you get our email with pics of the party we had for you? It was fun but something was missing...YOU!! :) I hope your ring worm clears up and that thats the worst thing you get! Take care! Hope your day was awesome! we love you!!!

UncleBinRS said...

Hi, sounds like quite the adventure you are having. It is very interesting tp read your comments, hope you are learning lots this will be somthing you will remember for the rest of your life. I've never had ringworm but I did have problems with Fleas on my mission. Keep up the good work I know you are making a difference in the lives of these children. Work hard, see ya laer.

UncleBinRS said...

Hi Tay!!! This is Auntie D. not Uncle B. I just wanted to wish you a Happy Belated Birthday !!!!!! I hope you had a good day . I'am sure it will be one you will never forget ring worm and all. I also wanted to let you know how proud we all are of you. It is exciting to hear abot your acounts and learning experiences. You have been a great example not only to me but especially for our kids THANK YOU!!! AShley wanted to wish you a Happy B-day Imiss you and hope to see you soon.I love you. We all love you. Make the best of everyday
!!! all our love Dewey 4

crazyrunningcousinA said...

hey whats up? I just wanted to tell you to have fun while ur there because if ur not having fun then ur mind is not going to be in the right place and u wont be able to do what ur there to do. Allright thats all. I'll see u when u get back.TTFN

crazyrunningcousinA said...

wow ring worm on your birthday. That doesnt sound fun, even though i dont know wat ring worm is. But at least you got chocolate, that wouldnt be my first pick for a birthday present but it must be exciting for some people. But why not use the battery acid, only wimps stick to pills and cream, youve got to be a real man if your willing to rub battery acid on your skin JK. Well see u soon. <(-_-)>

cousin T said...

hey this is Ty D., sorry didnt change account so the last comment was mine. <(-_-)>